Bear Care Program
When a son or daughter leaves home for Baylor, you wait for the happy calls, the jubilant emails, even the tearful homesick messages. There’s one call, though, that you dread. When your college student is seriously ill or injured, there’s nothing more stressful than the moment you realize you are not there with immediate comfort and counsel.The Bear Care Program was conceived for just such a moment of need.
Baylor University and Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center developed Bear Care in 2009 in response to the ever-increasing number of out-of-area family members of Baylor students. Because of strict national privacy laws, communication funneled out of hospitals can be limited or slow. With the Bear Care Program, navigating the healthcare system during emergency situations helps to reduce a parent’s anxiety during what can be frightening circumstances.
If the occasion requires, Baylor students, families and staff can rest assured that there is a Hillcrest Bear Care Associate ready and available to:
- Reach parents as quickly as possible, staying in touch regarding conditions and procedures.
- Act as liaison for your Baylor student, 24 hours a day.
- Inform university staff (with student’s permission) of his or her whereabouts.
- Pave the way for incoming parents, making hotel reservations near Hillcrest.
- Provide transportation, when needed, from airport or Amtrak.
- Partner with Baylor to provide various levels of support for students and their families.
There is nothing to sign, no need to enroll. Bear Care is simply here, waiting to serve ~ at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center. For more information or to use the "Bear Care Hotline", please call (254) 202-9202.