The RED Program (Reality Education for Drivers)
WHAT IS RED?
RED—Reality Education for Drivers—is a one-‐day, hospital-‐based injury prevention tool
targeted at young drivers. Using the path of injury as a backdrop, RED provides young persons who have exhibited risky behavior involving alcohol and other drugs and motor vehicles with fact-‐based information they can use to make better decisions. The goal is to reduce the number of motor vehicle crashes involving young drivers by encouraging them to drive sober, silent, and secure.
PATH OF INJURY: RED
• Takes place in a hospital with a dedicated trauma department;
• Lasts about 6 hours;
• Is designed for young drivers, ages 14-‐20 and may require their parents and/or legal
guardian to attend with them;
• Focuses on three factors known to contribute to crashes among the targeted population:
o Drinking and/or drugging;
o Distracted driving; and
o Unrestrained driving.
• Guides the student through the process of creating a personal Plan for Safety;
• Uses pre and post testing to gauge learning,
• Is facilitated by hospital staff and RED associates, and
• Provides participants and parents with proven strategies to help them become safer
members of the community.
RED is jointly presented by Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center and a grant from TxDOT. The
program is free to all participants.
Dan Worley at 254-‐202-‐6532 or Tori Lineberry at 254-‐202-‐6531
2201 MacArthur Drive, Suite 2200
Waco, TX 76708
Click here for the Registration Packet.
Click here for Additional Red Services.